- 08 Nov
Four years after Obama first made history, Young Jeezy is back doing his civic duty and providing a soundtrack for the President's triumphant reelection. Check out the video for "We Done It Again" and let us know your thoughts.
- 29 Oct
Due to the pending storm by Hurricane Sandy, TALKOFDC Readers are reminded to prepare for a disaster by creating a disaster plan...and not relying on just your phone.
This plan from the Red Cross should include what you will do if you lose electricity, safety measures and what to do in case of an emergency.
Many of you have purchased generators for your home due to Hurricane Irene that invaded us last year. It is expected that there will be lengthy power outages with this storm.
This storm will become a multi-day storm with high winds, heavy precipitation and flooding across a wide portion of the east coast.
- Residents are encouraged to check all pumps, chain saws, generators, and other emergency equipment.
- Buy extra Water -- one gallon of water per person per day. Fill up bathtub with fresh water.
- Food -- a three day supply of nonperishable food per person that does not require cooking.
- Purchase a car cell phone charger so phone can be charged using DC power
- Fill the gas in your car
- Close all windows and doors. Cover windows with storm shutters or plywood.
- Bring in outdoor objects such as lawn furniture, hanging plants, bicycles, toys and garden tools, anchor objects that cannot be brought inside.
- Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
- Tools and Supplies (flashlights, batteries, battery powered radio).
- Clothing and Bedding (one change of clothing per person; one blanket per person)
- Special Items (medications, eyeglasses, baby items, family documents, extra keys, credit card & cash)
- Develop a Family Contact List for every member (work, school and cell phone numbers).
- Create an Emergency Contact List (out of area contacts, utility companies, physicians).
- Establish a Reunion Point to meet (outside your home and outside the neighborhood).
- Plan ahead to care for pets (crate, leash, food).
- Know how to turn off water, gas and electricity in your home.
To access emergency information during a disaster, stay connected to http://www.washingtonpost.com
Source: American Red Cross www.redcross.org
- 13 Sep
Time: Doors Open at 3:00pm
Location: Morgan State University
Murphy Fine Arts Center
2201 Argonne Drive
Student: $25 (Must show valid student ID from any school)
Gen44: $100 (Includes one upper level general admission ticket)
General Admission: $250 (Includes one upper level general admission ticket)
Guest: $1000 (Per person- Includes one lower level general admission ticket)
Sponsor: $5000 (Per couple - Includes two tickets in premium seated section and photo opportunity for two)
Event Chair: $10,000 (Per couple - Includes two tickets in premier seated section and photo greet for two)